The federal government has stopped the estimated billing system in the Nigerian power sector – The government has directed the 11 electricity distribution companies across the nation to stop further collection of electricity bill under the system – The suspension order takes effect from Thursday, February 20 and has been circulated to all stakeholders The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has barred the 11 Distribution Companies (DisCos) from charging residential customers above an average of N1,800 or 78 kilowatt-hours monthly until meters are provided to such customers. NERC in an Order 197 signed by its chairman, Professor James Momoh compelled DisCos to meter customers. NERC said all unmetered residential and commercial customers shall not be invoiced for the consumption of energy if they are not metered by April 2020 when a new tariff will be implemented. The Buhari administration had promised to solve Nigeria’s power problems.
Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news Customs to shutdown supermarkets found selling prohibited goods NERC further repealed the estimated billing methodology ordered that it cease to have effect as a basis for computing the consumption of unmetered customers. ‘‘Discos shall ensure that all customers on tariff class A1 in their franchise areas are properly identified and metered by 30 April 2020,” NERC said. However, it warned that any customer that rejects the installation of a meter on their premises by a Disco shall not be entitled to supply and must be disconnected by the Disco, and shall only be reconnected to the network with the installation of a meter. Recall that the federal government recently advised DisCos to allow other investors into the power sector if they cannot perform their responsibilities. This was the position of the minister of power, Engineer Sale Mamman while addressing journalists on Wednesday, February 19 after the Federal Executive Council meeting at the State House, Abuja. Collect tax on carbonated drinks – Custom advises FG Mamman said the current arrangement with the distribution companies is not sustainable. “We cannot continue like that. So, if they are ready to continue, fine, but if they are not ready to continue, maybe, they should give way to whoever that is ready to come and invest,” he said. Already, President Muhammadu Buhari is running out of time to fulfil his promise to transform Nigeria’s power sector. In the run-up to the 2015 elections, Buhari in a document titled “Covenant with Nigerians” promised that: “The APC government shall vigorously pursue the expansion of electricity generation and distribution of up to 40, 000 MW in 4 to 8 years.” So far, the Buhari administration has not been able to deliver on that promise. From 2015 to date, President Buhari has continued to give assurances that his administration will sort out the electricity sector crisis.